Coinciding with the release of Lebanese musician and producer MARC CODSI’s new album THE SILENCE BETWEEN THE NEW WORLD AND THE AFTERMATH by Ruptured, Ziad Nawfal’s monthly mix for RADIO ALHARA consisted exclusively of tracks by Marc Codsi, taken from both his solo and various group projects.
Marc Codsi – 1979 [Faded Postcards]
Scrambled Eggs – We Should Share More Than Circumstance [No Special Date nor A Deity to Venerate]
Lumi – Raised in Fire [The Night Was a Liar]
Marc Codsi – Piano Part 2 [Faded Postcards]
Marc Codsi – A Light [V/A Nisf Madeena]
Zalfa – Law Ma [Fi Dam]
Scrambled Eggs – Just [Nevermind Where, Just Drive]
Marc Codsi – Invocation I [A New World]
Marc Codsi – Hangar #12 [The Silence Between the New World and The Aftermath]
Marc Codsi – Empty Resonant Shells [V/A Anthology of Electroacoustic Lebanese Music]
Marc Codsi – Faded Postcard 1 [Faded Postcards]
Marc Codsi – Finding Home [The Silence Between the New World and The Aftermath]
This mix was commissioned by Movement Athens for its radio festival “Exploring Mediterranean Futures” [Feb. 15-19, 2022], a 5-day radio festival focused on the sounds of the Mediterranean, searching for geographical and chronological connections through its culture, ideas and people.
Ziad Nawfal’s mix presents music recorded by various artists and bands from Beirut’s indie and experimental music scenes, between 2010 and 2021. A few of the tracks were officially released in some form or another, some of them are early drafts and demos, and a couple consist of live sessions recorded during Nawfal’s 35-year tenure at Beirut’s crumbling government station Radio Liban.
Fadi Tabbal – After the Fire, Before the End [Unreleased]
Charbel Haber & Sary Moussa – And Yet Another Romance on A Sinking Ship [V/A The Drone Sessions Vol. 1]
Scrambled Eggs & A Trio – Beach Party at Mirna el Chalouhi (Diamond Setter’s Rework) [Unreleased]
The Art of Boo – BoomKaboom [Unreleased]
Safa – Dominant Gene [V/A Lost Archives]
Jad Atoui – FDBCK [Unreleased]
Tres Milliones Dolares – Jon Black [V/A Anthology of Electroacoustic Lebanese Music]
Ziad Moukarzel – Questions of Worry [V/A Anthology of Electroacoustic Lebanese Music]
Ziad Nawfal’s monthly mix for Movement Radio in Athens, featuring music from Lebanon, Indonesia and Germany. This mix was commissioned and produced by Onassis Cultural Center, and presented for the first time in the frame of MOVEMENT RADIO.
1. Kinematik – Al Jadi (Capricorn) [LB] 2. Senyawa – Alkisah I [ID] 3. TEDTEDTED – Cama [LB] 4. NP [Anthony Sahyoun & Jad Atoui] – Coins with Memory [LB] 5. Liliane Chlela & Ziad Moukarzel – Dahr el Baydar [LB] 6. Two or The Dragon – Dance Grooves for The Weary (Part 1) [LB] 7. Calamita – The Industry [LB/IT] 8. Sharif Sehnaoui & Tony Elieh – Woe to Him [LB] 9. Stellar Banger [Giw/Hout/Kobeissy/Turnbull] – Put Your Medicine In Your Banana Bag [LB/DE]
Following their collaboration on the Lebanese vinyl edition of Senyawa’s “Alkisah” in February 2021, indie labels Annihaya and Ruptured are collaborating on two vinyl releases, to be released simultaneously in August 2021.
These are the 3rd album from Lebanese post-rock collective KINEMATIK, entitled “Al Jadi”, and the 2nd album from CALAMITA (the trio of guitarist Sharif Sehnaoui, bassist Tony Elieh and drummer Davide Zolli), entitled “Nemesis”.
Both albums were recorded and mixed by Fadi Tabbal at Tunefork Studios, Beirut.
Both albums were mastered by Harris Newman at Grey Market Mastering, Montreal.
All artworks by Hatem Imam, Studio Safar.
1. Stellar Banger – Intro PREMIERE
2. Two or The Dragon – Dance Grooves for The Weary [excerpt] PREMIERE
3. Sharif Sehnaoui & Tony Elieh – Woe to Him [excerpt]
4. Liliane Chlela & Ziad Moukarzel – Dahr el Baydar [excerpt]
5. Anthony Sahyoun & Jad Atoui – Walls Don’t Blink [excerpt]
6. Fadi Tabbal & Julia Sabra – Roots
7. Elyse Tabet & Jawad Nawfal – Courbe Lisse
8. Charbel Haber & Sary Moussa – And Yet Another Romance on A Sinking Ship [excerpt]
9. Aya Metwalli & Nadia Daou – Saturnus [excerpt]
Initiated and realized by Lumen Project, in collaboration with Ruptured and Tunefork Producers: Ziad Nawfal, Lina Enqvist, Maria Lyth, Erik Sandberg and Nathan Larson
Graphic design by Caroline Igel
Photography by Lujain Jo and Erik Sandberg
Editing by Erik Sandberg and Nathan Larson
With support from Musikverket
The Drone Sessions vol. 1 – Live at Tunefork Studios
In partnership with Nathan Larson and Lumen Project (Stockholm)
Featuring brand new music from Fadi Tabbal & Julia Sabra – Anthony Sahyoun & Jad Atoui – Elyse Tabet & Jawad Nawfal – Charbel Haber & Sary Moussa – Aya Metwalli & Nadia Daou – Sharif Sehnaoui & Tony Elieh – Liliane Chlela & Ziad Moukarzel.
Mastered by Cedrik Fermont at Syrphe, Berlin. Design by Nour Raad.
Ziad Nawfal’s 5th monthly mix for Movement Radio in Athens – featuring music from Lebanon, Palestine, Armenia, Egypt, Sudan, Turkey, Greece, Indonesia, Canada and the USA. This mix was commissioned and produced by Onassis Cultural Center, and presented for the first time in the frame of MOVEMENT RADIO.
1. Sufyvn – Whispers [SD]
2. Tarek Atoui – Untitled [LB]
3. Raed Yassin – The Two Banks of Time [LB]
4. Senyawa – Sujud (Prostration) [ID]
5. Giorgos Varoutas – Melisma 1 [GR]
6. Kamilya Jubran & Sarah Murcia – Siwa [PS/FR]
7. The Dwarfs of East Agouza [Alan Bishop, Maurice Louca, Sam Shalabi] – The Green Dogs of Dahshur [US/EG/CA]
8. Omarchestra [w. Osman Arabi, Umut Çağlar, Tony Elieh, Charbel Haber, Maurice Louca, Sharif Sehnaoui, Sam Shalabi, Fadi Tabbal] – King Hassan [LB/EG/TY/CA]
9. Khoum – E [AM]
10. Bana Haffar – Castles in Beirut [LB]
Ziad Nawfal’s monthly mix for Radio Ma3azef in Tunis – featuring music from Lebanon, Armenia, Egypt, Sudan, Morocco, Turkey, Canada and the USA:
1. Bergsonist – Ach Briti [MA]
2. Sufyvn – Ascension [SD]
3. The Dwarfs of East Agouza [Alan Bishop, Maurice Louca, Sam Shalabi] – Black Sun of Intent [US/EG/CA]
4. Raed Yassin – Book of Psalms [LB]
5. Kid Fourteen – Can You Be More Concerned [LB]
6. Omarchestra [w. Osman Arabi, Umut Çağlar, Tony Elieh, Charbel Haber, Maurice Louca, Sharif Sehnaoui, Sam Shalabi, Fadi Tabbal] – The Impropriety of Longing [LB/EG/TY/CA]
7. Two or The Dragon – Live at Metro, June 2018 [LB]
8. Khoum – Mah [AM]
9. Fadi Tabbal – The New and Improved Guide to Birdwatching Vol.3 (Patricia Wolf Drums Remix) [LB/US]
10. The Incompetents – State of The Union [LB]