In this hour-long missive, DJ and curator Ziad Nawfal highlights unreleased and rare music from prominent Lebanese musicians, bringing together ‘realms of experimental and electronic music’ as featured during his time at Irtijal Festival, in his work with the Ruptured record label, and on his long-running shows on Radio Lebanon.
Nawfal’s podcast includes conversations with these artists, providing an oral history of Beirut’s legendary underground:
GHASSAN SALHAB Revolution Intro (sound capture)
1. FADI TABBAL – After the fire, before the end (feat. Julia Sabra)
2. YOUMNA SABA – Al Arqām
3. “A” TRIO – b
4. CHARBEL HABER – Beside a monument to whirling nebulas of murderers’ fantasies, dressed in Sunday best, lay the bodies of docile beasts + Charbel Haber on Radio Lebanon, Beirut
5. MARC CODSI – Invocation I
6. AYA METWALLI – Matkhafsh menni + Aya Metwalli on Radio Lebanon, Beirut
7. RADWAN GHAZI MOUMNEH – Qaluli + Radwan Ghazi Moumneh on Radio Lebanon, Beirut
8. SHARIF SEHNAOUI – Overdance
9. TWO OR THE DRAGON – Prelude for the triumphant man [Part 1]
10. JAD ATOUI – FDBCK
11. JAWAD NAWFAL & MAZEN EL-SAYED – Pastless
12. ANTHONY SAHYOUN – Two foxes trotting on a lane in Qartaba + Anthony Sahyoun on Radio Lebanon, Beirut
GHASSAN SALHAB Revolution Outro (sound capture)
Read more about the podcast and Beirut’s Musicians Relief Fund here.
Ziad Nawfal’s 1st monthly mix for Movement Radio in Athens – with a focus on alternative music from Lebanon:
1. Kinematik – Murur al-kiram
2. Sharif Sehnaoui – N [live at radio liban] 3. Jad Atoui – Signals
4. Munma – Three voices
5. Charbel Haber – We dream in the sun we tan when we can
6. Youmna Saba – Nafas [live at radio liban] 7. Osman Arabi – The xi masks of the faceless one [live at radio liban] 8. Fadi Tabbal – The new and improved guide to birdwatching vol.3
9. Sary Moussa – In praise of shadows
10. Ziad Moukarzel – Questions of worry [excerpt] 11. El Rass & Munma – Freestyle [live at radio liban]
[This mix was commissioned and produced by Onassis Cultural Center, and presented for the first time in the frame of MOVEMENT RADIO]
The full, unedited version of Ziad Nawfal’s DJ set for the Morphine x Beirut fundraiser, organized by Morphine Records in Berlin, in collaboration with Irtijal, Ruptured, Frequent Defect, The Ballroom Blitz, Unsound and CTM:
1. Jerusalem In My Heart – A Granular Buzuk (feat. Sharif Sehnaoui) [LB]
2. Kid Fourteen – One Day I’m Gone [LB]
3. PanSTARRS – Khally Balak Hatmoot [EG]
4. MAKH – Abstract [LB]
5. Jad Atoui – Alpha 60 [LB]
6. Radiokvm – Aristophanes*213 [LB]
7. Monolake – Beirut [DE]
8. Morphosis – Wild in Captivity [LB]
9. Liliane Chlela – 2022 [LB]
10. DJ Haram – Overeager [US]
11. Aya Metwalli – Matkhafsh Menni [EG]
12. Rise 1969 – 3Jane Tessier-Ashpool [LB]
13. Lumi – To the Shore [LB]
Ziad Nawfal spoke to Alejandro Cohen at dublab Radio about alternative music in Beirut, and his 15-year experience as promoter, producer and label owner in Lebanon’s alternative music scene.
Click on the image above for the full interview, and make sure to check out the rest here, including writers Maan Abutaleb and Maha ElNabawi, musicians Adham Zidan and Zuli, and a host of others.
CALAMITA, the free-rock powerhouse trio of Lebanese musicians Sharif Sehnaoui and Tony Elieh (on electric guitar and bass respectively) and drummer Davide Zolli (from Italian psych rock outfit Squadra Omega) embarks on its first European tour this coming week!
The band’s self-titled first album was released by Ruptured in December 2017.
Check it out on Bandcamp below:
TOUR DATES: – Oct 22: Calamita @ Cox 18, Milano, Italy
– Oct 24: Calamita @ Magasin Général, Tarnac, France
– Oct 26: Calamita @ Atelier de l’Etoile, Besançon, France
– Oct 27: Calamita @ Les Lentilleres, Dijon, France
– Oct 28: Calamita @ Cave 12, Geneva, Switzerland
Calamita (Sharif Sehnaoui, Tony Elieh & Davide Zolli) – Calamita
CD Release by Ruptured, December 2017
Launch concert at Beirut Open Space on December 19, 2017
For its new CD release “Calamita”, Lebanese indie label Ruptured presents a concert with a unique line-up of experimental musicians: Sharif Sehnaoui (electric guitar) & Tony Elieh (electric bass), from bands Bao, Electric Wormholes and Karkhana, will be joined by special guests Khyam Allami (drums) & Sam Shalabi (electric guitar), playing live for the 1st time at Beirut Open Space.