This mix was commissioned by Movement Athens for its radio festival “Exploring Mediterranean Futures” [Feb. 15-19, 2022], a 5-day radio festival focused on the sounds of the Mediterranean, searching for geographical and chronological connections through its culture, ideas and people.
Ziad Nawfal’s mix presents music recorded by various artists and bands from Beirut’s indie and experimental music scenes, between 2010 and 2021. A few of the tracks were officially released in some form or another, some of them are early drafts and demos, and a couple consist of live sessions recorded during Nawfal’s 35-year tenure at Beirut’s crumbling government station Radio Liban.
Fadi Tabbal – After the Fire, Before the End [Unreleased]
Charbel Haber & Sary Moussa – And Yet Another Romance on A Sinking Ship [V/A The Drone Sessions Vol. 1]
Scrambled Eggs & A Trio – Beach Party at Mirna el Chalouhi (Diamond Setter’s Rework) [Unreleased]
The Art of Boo – BoomKaboom [Unreleased]
Safa – Dominant Gene [V/A Lost Archives]
Jad Atoui – FDBCK [Unreleased]
Tres Milliones Dolares – Jon Black [V/A Anthology of Electroacoustic Lebanese Music]
Ziad Moukarzel – Questions of Worry [V/A Anthology of Electroacoustic Lebanese Music]
Ziad Nawfal’s monthly mix for Movement Radio in Athens, featuring music from Lebanon, Indonesia and Germany. This mix was commissioned and produced by Onassis Cultural Center, and presented for the first time in the frame of MOVEMENT RADIO.
1. Kinematik – Al Jadi (Capricorn) [LB] 2. Senyawa – Alkisah I [ID] 3. TEDTEDTED – Cama [LB] 4. NP [Anthony Sahyoun & Jad Atoui] – Coins with Memory [LB] 5. Liliane Chlela & Ziad Moukarzel – Dahr el Baydar [LB] 6. Two or The Dragon – Dance Grooves for The Weary (Part 1) [LB] 7. Calamita – The Industry [LB/IT] 8. Sharif Sehnaoui & Tony Elieh – Woe to Him [LB] 9. Stellar Banger [Giw/Hout/Kobeissy/Turnbull] – Put Your Medicine In Your Banana Bag [LB/DE]
Canadian indie label Constellation and Ma3azef resident Ziad Nawfal join forces to curate a 60mn mix of music based on and around Lebanese/Canadian duo Jerusalem In My Heart‘s album “Qalaq”, released in October 2021. Featuring several cuts from the album, as well as selected tracks from its outstanding list of contributors.
1. Jerusalem In My Heart – Abyad Barraq
2. Tim Hecker – Acephale
3. Le Révélateur (Roger Tellier-Craig & Sabrina Ratté) – Afterimage Selves
4. Pacha (Pierre-Guy Blanchard) – Ankara
5. Jerusalem In My Heart – Bein Ithnein
6. Moor Mother – Big Crime
7. Lucrecia Dalt – Disuelta
8. Body Meπa (Greg Fox / Sasha Frere-Jones / Melvin Gibbs / Grey McMurray) – Bullitt
9. Rabih Beaini – Light Within a Light
10. OISEAUX-TEMPÊTE – Out of Sight
11. “A” Trio (Mazen Kerbaj / Sharif Sehnaoui / Raed Yassin) – Over
12. Radwan Ghazi Moumneh – Qaluli (They Told Me)
13. Jerusalem In My Heart – Tanto
14. Alanis Obomsawin – Odana
Ziad Nawfal’s monthly mix for Movement Radio in Athens, featuring music from Lebanon, Syria, Jordan and Indonesia. This mix was commissioned and produced by Onassis Cultural Center, and presented for the first time in the frame of MOVEMENT RADIO.
1. Melmo – After [LB] 2. Khaled Omran – Arak [SY] 3. The Butcher’s Bride (Liliane Chlela & Hamed Sinno) – Lipsync [LB] 4. Serge Yared – Deliberate Depression [LB] 5. Wanderland – December [LB] 6. Anthony Sahyoun – Irhamna (Premiere) [LB] 7. Senyawa – Kabau (1800s Internet Remix) [ID/JO] 8. Jaafar Touffar – Nitrate [LB] 9. Gurumiran – Man Who Sold Eldunya [LB] 10. Sandmoon – Angels [LB] 11. Postcards – Mother Tongue [LB] 12. Filter Happier – Radiobed [LB] 13. Sharif Sehnaoui – Thawra [LB] 14. Calamita – The Industry [LB/IT] 15. The Bunny Tylers – Mothers Make Murderers (Summer 91) [LB}
Ziad Nawfal’s monthly mix for Movement Radio in Athens – showcasing Lebanese digital electronic label VV-VA. This mix was commissioned and produced by Onassis Cultural Center, and presented for the first time in the frame of MOVEMENT RADIO.
1. Charbel Haber & Jawad Nawfal – Across The River Styx 2. Jad Atoui & Jawad Nawfal – Amber Color 3. Elyse Tabet & Jawad Nawfal – At The Gay Bar Being Gay 4. Sharif Sehnaoui & Jawad Nawfal – Castle 5. Jawad Nawfal – Between Scylla and Charybdis 6. Anthony Sahyoun & Jawad Nawfal – February 2 pt.2 7. Jawad Nawfal – Nine Hundred Chariots 8. Mazen El Sayed & Jawad Nawfal – Liquid Sun 9. Jad Atoui – Signals 10. Jad Atoui & Jawad Nawfal – Vice Versa 11. Mazen El Sayed & Jawad Nawfal – Pastless 12. Elyse Tabet & Jawad Nawfal – Courbe Lisse
Following their collaboration on the Lebanese vinyl edition of Senyawa’s “Alkisah” in February 2021, indie labels Annihaya and Ruptured are collaborating on two vinyl releases, to be released simultaneously in August 2021.
These are the 3rd album from Lebanese post-rock collective KINEMATIK, entitled “Al Jadi”, and the 2nd album from CALAMITA (the trio of guitarist Sharif Sehnaoui, bassist Tony Elieh and drummer Davide Zolli), entitled “Nemesis”.
Both albums were recorded and mixed by Fadi Tabbal at Tunefork Studios, Beirut.
Both albums were mastered by Harris Newman at Grey Market Mastering, Montreal.
All artworks by Hatem Imam, Studio Safar.
1. Stellar Banger – Intro PREMIERE
2. Two or The Dragon – Dance Grooves for The Weary [excerpt] PREMIERE
3. Sharif Sehnaoui & Tony Elieh – Woe to Him [excerpt]
4. Liliane Chlela & Ziad Moukarzel – Dahr el Baydar [excerpt]
5. Anthony Sahyoun & Jad Atoui – Walls Don’t Blink [excerpt]
6. Fadi Tabbal & Julia Sabra – Roots
7. Elyse Tabet & Jawad Nawfal – Courbe Lisse
8. Charbel Haber & Sary Moussa – And Yet Another Romance on A Sinking Ship [excerpt]
9. Aya Metwalli & Nadia Daou – Saturnus [excerpt]
Initiated and realized by Lumen Project, in collaboration with Ruptured and Tunefork Producers: Ziad Nawfal, Lina Enqvist, Maria Lyth, Erik Sandberg and Nathan Larson
Graphic design by Caroline Igel
Photography by Lujain Jo and Erik Sandberg
Editing by Erik Sandberg and Nathan Larson
With support from Musikverket