A one-hour mix for Radio Alhara in Palestine, with alternative, electronica and experimental tracks by artists from Lebanon, Jordan, Egypt and Palestine:
1. Love & Revenge – Allo? 
2. DJ Sotusura – Al Hara 
3. Muqata’a – Faltakon 
4. Karkhana – Nafas 
5. Jerusalem In My Heart – Bein Ithnein 
6. Marc Codsi – Invocation I 
7. Jawad Nawfal – STO On A VHS 
8. Kinematik – Al-Qulub al-Mughallafa Bet-Turab la Tankaser 
9. Praed – El Khawaga 
10. Serge Yared – The State of The Union 
11. Sary Moussa – In Praise of Shadows 
12. Aya Metwalli – Fein Enta 
13. The Bunny Tylers – Let There Be Light 
14. PanSTARRS – Dor Elfo2 
15. Kid Fourteen – Everybody Wants A Strong Man 
16. El Rass – El Akh Men Weyn? 
17. Al Rajul Al Hadidi – Qossat Al Tapline 
Lebanese post-rock quartet KINEMATIK released its gorgeous second album “Murur Al-Kiram” in February 2020, with Beirut-based label Ruptured and Portland-based label Beacon Sound. A track from this album is featured in The Wire Tapper #52, a promotional CD given away with the April 2020 issue of leading UK magazine The Wire.
This CD has been compiled by Shane Woolman, Astrud Steehouder and James Gormley and is packaged in a heavy duty card sleeve designed by The Wire’s art director Ben Weaver, and featuring artwork by Brian Lucas. It contains a range of new, rare or exclusive tracks from across the spectrum of the kind of underground and outsider musics covered in The Wire.
Kinematik – Murur Al-Kiram
LP & Digital Release by Ruptured / Beacon Sound, 28 February 2020
“Murur Al-Kiram”, the new album by Lebanese post-rock ensemble Kinematik, uses electronics, intricate double-drumming, guitar and bass to construct ambient soundscapes and hypnotic, propulsive rhythms – conjuring the ghosts of a diminishing future, as well as an unresolved past. Subtle in both angst and joy, “Murur Al-Kiram” celebrates small victories in the face of great defeats.
Recorded by Fadi Tabbal at Tunefork Studios, Beirut, with assistance from Marwan Tohme.
Photography by Joe Saade.
IN MY HEART’S EYE: THE LOVE PROJECT
A performance by Zoukak Theatre Company 14, 15, 16 and 20, 21, 22 February, 8:30pm at Zoukak Studio, Beirut, Karantina
“The Love Project” studies a succession of ephemeral moments that have defined people’s various journeys. The performance involves the audience in a series of tableaux that encapsulate various love encounters; playing with the mechanisms of attraction, infatuation, daydreaming, and loss, as a process of endless re-enactments and a way to see the world through the Other.
Directed by: Maya Zbib Performers: Lamia Abi Azar, Louloua Ghandour, Junaid Sarieddine, Nasri Sayegh and Maya Zbib Scenographer: Nathalie Harb Assistant director: Line Itani Music selected and played by Ziad Nawfal — all tracks taken from the Ruptured Records catalog, 2012-2019
Light designer and technical director: Nadim Deaibes Technical Team: Bahaa Baddour, Nourhan Fakhoury, Salim Bou Ayash, Jean Kisswany, Fadi Ajlan Sound Engineer: George Abou Zeid Stage managers: Line Itani, Sari Shrayteh and Marianne Kortbani Graphic designer: Maya Chami Communication officer: Marianne Kortbani English translation: Rayya Badran and Ziad Nawfal Production manager: Mohamad Hamdan and Nancy Nasreddine
MusicMap’s ‘Soundscape’ series is a brilliant way to keep up with local music scenes and global trends. Every few weeks, the people behind this amazing platform visit a different country and ask someone familiar with the scene to serve up a mix of the finest local sounds…
“This month we’re visiting Lebanon for our first Soundscape from the Middle East. Our guide this time is Beirut-based DJ, promoter and producer Ziad Nawfal, co-founder of ground-breaking independent label Ruptured and managing director of Irtijal, the country’s first experimental music festival. Ziad Nawfal has spent his career championing independent Lebanese music via his ‘Ruptures’ and ‘Decalages’ shows on Radio Lebanon, so we knew we were in for a treat with his Soundscape mix…”
1. El Rass & Munma – Kashghara (Adam, Darwin & The Penguin, 2015)
2. Kinematik – Lalochezia (Ala’, 2017)
3. Calamita – FTC (Calamita, 2018)
4. Fadi Tabbal – Crystal Palace (Museum of Disappearing Buildings, 2015)
5. Youmna Saba – Nafas (Njoum, 2014)
6. Jad Atoui – Zikr (Unreleased track, 2016)
7. The Bunny Tylers – Mothers Make Murderers (Glitches & Drones, 2016)
8. Kid Fourteen – It’s A Lovely Night (Dream Kids Never Sleep, 2016)
9. Scrambled Eggs – Building A Nest (Unreleased track, 2013)
10. KOZO 構造 – Don’t Leave, Kurokawa! (Beirut Wave Three, 2017)
11. Mme Chandelier – Minimal Potato (Post Coital Tristesse, 2016)
12. Radiokvm – Alpha Apparatus (Issrar, 2014)
13. Stephanie Merchak – Und Meine Antwort War Nein (Eine Frage, 2018)
14. Munma – Cadavre Exquis (Three Voices, 2016)