U.S.-born musician Nathan Larson and Lebanese producer and promoter Ziad Nawfal were the guests of Leyla Nahas on Radio Liban 96.2FM, to describe the long road leading to the creation and production of Beirut Drone ’19.
Put together by Nawfal’s Ruptured and Larson’s Lumen Project, in partnership with Ziad Moukarzel’s Woodwork Studios, this 12-hour festival took place in Beirut on June 15 at Zoukak Studio, and featured no less than 21 Lebanese and international top-notch musicians and VJ’s.
1. Stephanie Merchak
2. Youmna Saba
3. Charbel Haber & Oiseaux-Tempête
4. Wildbirds & Peacedrums
5. Maria W. Horn
CALAMITA, the free-rock powerhouse trio of Lebanese musicians Sharif Sehnaoui and Tony Elieh (on electric guitar and bass respectively) and drummer Davide Zolli (from Italian psych rock outfit Squadra Omega) embarks on its first European tour this coming week!
The band’s self-titled first album was released by Ruptured in December 2017.
Check it out on Bandcamp below:
TOUR DATES: – Oct 22: Calamita @ Cox 18, Milano, Italy
– Oct 24: Calamita @ Magasin Général, Tarnac, France
– Oct 26: Calamita @ Atelier de l’Etoile, Besançon, France
– Oct 27: Calamita @ Les Lentilleres, Dijon, France
– Oct 28: Calamita @ Cave 12, Geneva, Switzerland
MusicMap’s ‘Soundscape’ series is a brilliant way to keep up with local music scenes and global trends. Every few weeks, the people behind this amazing platform visit a different country and ask someone familiar with the scene to serve up a mix of the finest local sounds…
“This month we’re visiting Lebanon for our first Soundscape from the Middle East. Our guide this time is Beirut-based DJ, promoter and producer Ziad Nawfal, co-founder of ground-breaking independent label Ruptured and managing director of Irtijal, the country’s first experimental music festival. Ziad Nawfal has spent his career championing independent Lebanese music via his ‘Ruptures’ and ‘Decalages’ shows on Radio Lebanon, so we knew we were in for a treat with his Soundscape mix…”
1. El Rass & Munma – Kashghara (Adam, Darwin & The Penguin, 2015)
2. Kinematik – Lalochezia (Ala’, 2017)
3. Calamita – FTC (Calamita, 2018)
4. Fadi Tabbal – Crystal Palace (Museum of Disappearing Buildings, 2015)
5. Youmna Saba – Nafas (Njoum, 2014)
6. Jad Atoui – Zikr (Unreleased track, 2016)
7. The Bunny Tylers – Mothers Make Murderers (Glitches & Drones, 2016)
8. Kid Fourteen – It’s A Lovely Night (Dream Kids Never Sleep, 2016)
9. Scrambled Eggs – Building A Nest (Unreleased track, 2013)
10. KOZO 構造 – Don’t Leave, Kurokawa! (Beirut Wave Three, 2017)
11. Mme Chandelier – Minimal Potato (Post Coital Tristesse, 2016)
12. Radiokvm – Alpha Apparatus (Issrar, 2014)
13. Stephanie Merchak – Und Meine Antwort War Nein (Eine Frage, 2018)
14. Munma – Cadavre Exquis (Three Voices, 2016)