1. Klein – Only
2. Julius Eastman – Feminine (reissue)
3. Dedekind Cut – $uccessor
4. Katerine – Le film
5. Serpent With Feet – Blisters
6. Elysia Crampton – Demon City
7. Le Révélateur – Hyper
8. Yves Tumor – Serpent Music
9. Babyfather – Hosted By DJ Escrow
10. عبده العمري – ليالي الصيف (reissue)
11. فرقة العقارب و سيف ابو بكر (reissue)
Ziad Nawfal presents THE RUPTURED SESSIONS, VOLUME 5
CD release + live performances
LIVE PERFORMANCES BY:
DJ SET BY:
On Thursday 21 March 2013, starting 9pm
At Yukunkun, Rue du Liban, Gemmayzeh, Beirut
ABOUT THE CD
The Ruptured Sessions is a series of live recordings produced by Lebanese radio host Ziad Nawfal in the studios of Radio Lebanon. The sessions take place during Nawfal’s weekly program Ruptures, with musicians from Beirut’s alternative scene and elsewhere.
Volume 5 documents the city’s younger wave of electronic composers, and features performances from the likes of Jad Atoui, Liliane Chlela, Mocques and RadioKVM. Also included are recordings from American experimental musician Robert Lowe (in his Lichens guise); up-and-coming international projects Praed and Under The Carpet; as well as an exclusive duo of Lebanese guitarist extraordinaireCharbel Nicolas Haber and Canadian sound-maker Radwan Ghazi Moumneh.
The sessions for Volume 5 were recorded in Beirut by sound engineer and musician Fadi Tabbal; and subsequently mastered in Berlin by Belgian artist and producer C-drík, who also worked on Ruptured releases El Rass and Under The Carpet.
I asked some of my favorite musician and artist friends, from Beirut and beyond, to list their 10 favorite albums of 2012…
Alternately, they could also provide me with a list of the records they listened to the most in 2012, regardless of date of release.
As part of Ruptured’s coverage of the 12th edition of Irtijal Festival, Canadian musicians Eric Chenaux and Radwan Moumneh were the guests of the radio program, for a lengthy live performance and an interview covering both artists’ careers and musical approaches.
I asked some of my favorite musicians from Beirut and beyond, to tell me what their favorite records of 2011 were…
Radwan Ghazi Moumneh: producer, sound engineer (Hotel2Tango), musician (Jerusalem In My Heart, Land Of Kush, Pas Chic Chic)
– خليل غمكين مواويل سورية كردية cassette
– Khansahib Abdul Karim Khan “Self-titled” lp
– Arlt “La Langue” only cd sadly
– Marika Papagika “The Further The Flame, The Worse It Burns Me” lp
– Le Révélateur “Fictions” lp
– الحضرمي الميداح كلمات ” 7
– Magneticring “City” cassette
– V/A “Music For Saharan Cellphones” download
– Matana Roberts “COIN COIN Chapter 1 / Gens de Couleur Libre” dbl 10″
– Jean-Claude Vannier “Electro Rapide” lp
Lebanese musicians Radwan Ghazi Moumneh (Jerusalem In My Heart) & Charbel Haber (Scrambled Eggs) were the guests of Ruptures on Monday 4 April, to present the 11th edition of Irtijal Festival of Experimental Music, which took place in Beirut in various locations between April 5-8.