On the occasion of the release of Munma‘s new LP Three Voices in Beirut, this edition of the Ruptures radio show featured demos, album tracks, exclusive versions and remixes culled from this talented Lebanese producer’s 10-year (and ongoing) career.
1. Munma: Soft Integration (Previews and Premises, 2010)
2. Munma: A Tribute to Mahjoub Omar (demo, 2013)
3. El Rass & Munma: ‘Awdat al Batriq (Adam, Darwin & the Batriq, 2014)
4. Munma with Naserdayn el Touffar: Nay (demo, 2014)
5. Munma: Munma (34 Days, 2006)
6. Munma: IRM (Black Tuesday, 2007)
7. Munma: Engram (Unholy Republic, 2008)
8. Trash Inc. & Munma: Nightwalker #2 (demo, 2009)
9. Index/Left: Hecatonchires (demo, 2010)
10. Scrambled Eggs: Bleeding Nun (Munma remix, from Happy Together Filthy Forever, 2006)
11. Litter: Hummingbird (Munma remix, from Newfound Grids, 2012)
12. Infinite Moment of Composure: Infiltration (Turbulence, 2012)
13. Tasjil Moujahed: Aviatrix (Musafer, 2012)
14. Munma feat. radiokvm: The Funeral (No Apologies, 2013)
I asked some of my musician friends from Beirut, to list their 10 favorite albums of 2014…
Or the music they’ve listened to the most during the past year, regardless of date of release
– Eric Holm: Åse
– Killing Sound: S/t
– Koenraad Ecker: One-Eye
– Klara Lewis: Untitled
– Dalhous: DSM-III
– Andy Stott: Faith In Strangers
– Sky Black Horses: Locust
– Goat: Talk To God
– Peder Mannerfelt: Arss
– The Amazing Snakeheads: I’m A Vampire
Ziad Nawfal presents
THE RUPTURED SESSIONS, VOLUME 5
CD release + live performances
LIVE PERFORMANCES BY:
DJ SET BY:
On Thursday 21 March 2013, starting 9pm
At Yukunkun, Rue du Liban, Gemmayzeh, Beirut
ABOUT THE CD
The Ruptured Sessions is a series of live recordings produced by Lebanese radio host Ziad Nawfal in the studios of Radio Lebanon. The sessions take place during Nawfal’s weekly program Ruptures, with musicians from Beirut’s alternative scene and elsewhere.
Volume 5 documents the city’s younger wave of electronic composers, and features performances from the likes of Jad Atoui, Liliane Chlela, Mocques and RadioKVM. Also included are recordings from American experimental musician Robert Lowe (in his Lichens guise); up-and-coming international projects Praed and Under The Carpet; as well as an exclusive duo of Lebanese guitarist extraordinaire Charbel Nicolas Haber and Canadian sound-maker Radwan Ghazi Moumneh.
The sessions for Volume 5 were recorded in Beirut by sound engineer and musician Fadi Tabbal; and subsequently mastered in Berlin by Belgian artist and producer C-drík, who also worked on Ruptured releases El Rass and Under The Carpet.
The Incompetents‘ latest full-length CD, “Of Narcissism… And Other Minor Differences”, released in November 2012, is now available for sale in Lebanon at the following spots:
– Beirut Art Center (Sin el Fil)
– Dar Bookstore (Hamra)
– Chico Video (Hamra)
– Music Now (Hamra)
The following 2 CDs, which were released by the Berlin-based Syrphe label in the summer of 2012:
– Infinite Moment Of Composure (Jawad Nawfal & Liliane Chlela): Turbulence
– Tasjiil Moujahed (Munma & Kirdec): Self-titled
… are now available for sale in Lebanon at Beirut Art Center (Sin el Fil) and Music Now (Hamra)
There are only 10 copies remaining of the CD compilation The Ruptured Sessions volume 3, released in the summer of 2010, out of an initial run of 500.
This compilation features exclusive radio versions, recorded during the Ruptures program on Radio Lebanon 96.2FM, of tracks by Intensive Care (now Wake Island), Eileen Khatchadourian, Mashrou’ Leila, and others… These last 10 copies are found at Beirut Art Center (Sin el Fil, 5 copies) and Music Now (Hamra, 5 copies)… There will be no reprint — hurry up and get yours 🙂
I asked some of my favorite musician and artist friends, from Beirut and beyond, to list their 10 favorite albums of 2012…
Alternately, they could also provide me with a list of the records they listened to the most in 2012, regardless of date of release.
– Mika Vainio, Kevin Drumm, Axel Dörner & Lucio Capece: Venexia
– Tim Hecker & Daniel Lopatin: Instrumental Tourist
– Robert Aiki Aubrey Lowe: Timon Irnok Manta
– Lee Gamble: Diversions 1994-1996
– Bill Gould & Jared Blum: The Talking Book
– Jon Mueller & James Plotkin: Terminal Velocity
– Fennesz: AUN (OST)
– Lee Noble / Ensemble Economique: Motion Forever (Split LP)
– Actress: R.I.P
– Bersarin Quartett: II
UNDER THE CARPET is the trio of Paed CONCA (Switzerland), Stéphane RIVES (France) and Fadi TABBAL (Lebanon).
PAED CONCA is an experienced and seasoned musician in the fields of experimental music, improvised music and electronica. He has also written music for theatre, dance, film productions and small ensembles, and has toured extensively in Europe, Russia, Japan and Lebanon, with a vast array of international musicians, for the past 20 years.