MusicMap’s ‘Soundscape’ series is a brilliant way to keep up with local music scenes and global trends. Every few weeks, the people behind this amazing platform visit a different country and ask someone familiar with the scene to serve up a mix of the finest local sounds…
“This month we’re visiting Lebanon for our first Soundscape from the Middle East. Our guide this time is Beirut-based DJ, promoter and producer Ziad Nawfal, co-founder of ground-breaking independent label Ruptured and managing director of Irtijal, the country’s first experimental music festival. Ziad Nawfal has spent his career championing independent Lebanese music via his ‘Ruptures’ and ‘Decalages’ shows on Radio Lebanon, so we knew we were in for a treat with his Soundscape mix…”
1. El Rass & Munma – Kashghara (Adam, Darwin & The Penguin, 2015)
2. Kinematik – Lalochezia (Ala’, 2017)
3. Calamita – FTC (Calamita, 2018)
4. Fadi Tabbal – Crystal Palace (Museum of Disappearing Buildings, 2015)
5. Youmna Saba – Nafas (Njoum, 2014)
6. Jad Atoui – Zikr (Unreleased track, 2016)
7. The Bunny Tylers – Mothers Make Murderers (Glitches & Drones, 2016)
8. Kid Fourteen – It’s A Lovely Night (Dream Kids Never Sleep, 2016)
9. Scrambled Eggs – Building A Nest (Unreleased track, 2013)
10. KOZO 構造 – Don’t Leave, Kurokawa! (Beirut Wave Three, 2017)
11. Mme Chandelier – Minimal Potato (Post Coital Tristesse, 2016)
12. Radiokvm – Alpha Apparatus (Issrar, 2014)
13. Stephanie Merchak – Und Meine Antwort War Nein (Eine Frage, 2018)
14. Munma – Cadavre Exquis (Three Voices, 2016)
As part of Ruptured’s coverage of the 12th edition of Irtijal Festival, Canadian musicians Eric Chenaux and Radwan Moumneh were the guests of the radio program, for a lengthy live performance and an interview covering both artists’ careers and musical approaches.
Sharif Sehnaoui, Mazen Kerbaj and Hadi Saleh, co-curators of Irtijal festival’s 12th edition (April 4-12), were the guests of Ruptures for a presentation of the festival’s program. The show was book-ended by two live performances from the Kerbaj/Sehnaoui duo.
Lebanese musicians Radwan Ghazi Moumneh (Jerusalem In My Heart) & Charbel Haber (Scrambled Eggs) were the guests of Ruptures on Monday 4 April, to present the 11th edition of Irtijal Festival of Experimental Music, which took place in Beirut in various locations between April 5-8.
Le guitariste-improvisateur libanais Sharif Sehnaoui, fondateur et organisateur du Festival de musique expérimentale Irtijal, producteur du label Al-Maslakh, en interview et mini-concert sur les ondes de Radio Liban 96.2FM, dans le cadre de Ruptures.