ZIAD NAWFAL is a Beirut-based DJ, radio host, music promoter and producer, and the co-founder of ground-breaking independent label Ruptured with Lebanese studio owner and engineer Fadi Tabbal.
Nawfal has spent the better part of the last 20 years exposing Lebanon and the world to the special local and regional independent music talent, on his long-running radio shows ‘Ruptures’ and ‘Decalages’ on Radio-Lebanon 96.2FM.
Since 2010, he is also the managing director of Irtijal, the first and foremost festival for experimental music in Lebanon.
Celebrating the 25th album release from Ruptured today!
“ARAN STORIES” is a collaboration between prolific French rock quartet HIFIKLUB and celebrated British singer and guitarist MIKE COOPER.
It is available from Cargo Records UK here.
For the occasion, we produced a radio program entirely dedicated to the music of these fine gentlemen. Listen below!
1. Hifiklub + Mike Cooper: Naked bridges (Ruptured, 2019)
2. Hifiklub: Jeu dit sous le vent (2019)
3. Mike Cooper: Worried life blues (2014)
4. Hifiklub + Mike Cooper: Aran stories (Ruptured, 2019)
5. Hifiklub + Lee Ranaldo: Weapons (2018)
6. Hifiklub + Jean-Marc Montera & Kramer: Vega-Tapes (Beach Boys cover, 2012)
7. The Recedents [Cooper, Coxhill & Turner]: Zombie bloodbath on the isle of dogs (1988)
8. Hifiklub + Mike Cooper: Wild torrents (Ruptured, 2019)
9. Mike Cooper: Masters at war (Bob Dylan cover, 2012)
10. Hifiklub + The Legendary Tigerman: One more chance (Nico cover, 2013)
11. Hifiklub + Mike Cooper: Gaelic falling (Ruptured, 2019)
Say goodbye, again… Tribute show to Scott Walker on Ruptures, Radio Lebanon 96.2FM, Beirut:
1. My ship is comin’ in / with Walker Brothers (from Take it easy, 1965)
2. I threw it all away / Bob Dylan cover (from OST To have & to hold, 1993)
3. Montague terrace in blue (from Scott 1, 1967)
4. Man from Reno / with Goran Bregovic (from OST Toxic affair, 1993)
5. Dealer (from Climate of hunter, 1984)
6. Nite flights / with Walker Brothers (from Nite flights, 1978)
7. Post meeting (from OST Childhood of a leader, 2016)
8. Time is out of joint (from OST Pola X, 1999)
9. Brando / with Sunn O))) (from Soused, 2014)
10. Tilt (from Tilt, 1995)
11. Big Louise (from Scott 3, 1969)
12. Mathilde / Jacques Brel cover (from Scott 1, 1967)
13. The old man’s back again (from Scott 4, 1969)
14. In my room / with Walker Brothers (from Portrait, 1966)
15. Cossacks are (from The drift, 2006)
16. Epizootics (from Bisch Bosch, 2012)
2018 marked the 10th anniversary of “The Ruptured Sessions”, a series of live performances set and conducted in the studios of Radio Lebanon, during Ziad Nawfal’s “Ruptures” radio show.
These sessions were (and still are) aimed at highlighting the best of what Lebanon has to offer, as far as local musical talent goes. The list is long and varied, and includes such artists as Nadine Khouri, Youmna Saba, Rayess Bek, Fareeq el Atrash, Mashrou’ Leila, Wanton Bishops, Who Killed Bruce Lee, Postcards, and many others.
To celebrate these live sessions’ 10 years of existence, we will be releasing this Christmas a set by Lebanese musician Salim Naffah aka Alko B, recorded on January 2nd, 2017. The session features tracks from Alko B’s first release, “Sex Tapes”, as well as a couple of new songs.