Another “archival” mix, this one was commissioned for Recordat for their Re:levant series of podcasts; it showcases music recorded by Lebanese artists hailing from different genres and music denominations, between 2003 and 2012.
Some of the tracks are basic demos (Kitano Home Ensemble, Liliane Chlela), others are live versions (Court-Circuit, Kerbaj/Sehnaoui) or studio sessions, a couple were officially released, while overall nothing is properly mastered. They provide a window into a more frivolous, less rigid time, where experimentation and trial-and-error were often the norm.
1. Kitano Home Ensemble – Sunday Afternoon (Unreleased) 2. Liliane Chlela – I Scream (Unreleased) 3. Tarek Atoui / Uriel Barthelemi / Paed Conca – Session 01 (Unreleased) 4. Mazen Kerbaj + Sharif Sehnaoui – Ruptured Session April 2012 (Unreleased) 5. Court Circuit [Heathen + Osman Arabi] – Ruptured Session February 2010 (Unreleased) 6. Ae_Quo [Jawad Nawfal + Victor Bresse] – Maquette 01 (Unreleased) 7. AEX [Jawad Nawfal + Victor Bresse] – Electrolog (Unreleased) 8. Jad Atoui – Code Breaker (Unreleased) 9. OkyDoky & Radiokvm – Ein Souda (Unreleased) 10. Scrambled Eggs & A Trio – Beach Party at Mirna El Chalouhi [Diamond Setter’s Rework] (Unreleased) 11. Youmna Saba – Nasmet Hawa (Unreleased) 12. FEZANT – Message
13. Intensive Care – ficti(on)
14. Spoils & Servants – Saturn Fever (Unreleased)
Last August, we were asked to contribute material to a project by harvest entitled #timeinthistime, meant to examine our connection with time, post-Covid, post-August 4th blast, post-everything.
In the following weeks, we produced two music mixes, one of already-released tracks from our “Ruptured Sessions” compilation series. Another of exclusive tracks from musicians we’ve worked with time and time again in the last few years.
They are Fadi Tabbal, Youmna Saba, Anthony Sahyoun, Charbel Haber, Sharif Sehnaoui, Aya Metwalli and Jawad Nawfal.
We also asked these musicians for a picture, preferably from their phone’s camera roll, that would represent the year 2020 for them.
You can see these photos and listen to the 2 music mixes at the link below.
As ever, we are grateful to the artists who donated their tracks, and trusted us to make good use of their music and images.
Also grateful to Nour Raad for her images that accompany the mixes beautifully.
In this hour-long missive, DJ and curator Ziad Nawfal highlights unreleased and rare music from prominent Lebanese musicians, bringing together ‘realms of experimental and electronic music’ as featured during his time at Irtijal Festival, in his work with the Ruptured record label, and on his long-running shows on Radio Lebanon.
Nawfal’s podcast includes conversations with these artists, providing an oral history of Beirut’s legendary underground:
GHASSAN SALHAB Revolution Intro (sound capture)
1. FADI TABBAL – After the fire, before the end (feat. Julia Sabra)
2. YOUMNA SABA – Al Arqām
3. “A” TRIO – b
4. CHARBEL HABER – Beside a monument to whirling nebulas of murderers’ fantasies, dressed in Sunday best, lay the bodies of docile beasts + Charbel Haber on Radio Lebanon, Beirut
5. MARC CODSI – Invocation I
6. AYA METWALLI – Matkhafsh menni + Aya Metwalli on Radio Lebanon, Beirut
7. RADWAN GHAZI MOUMNEH – Qaluli + Radwan Ghazi Moumneh on Radio Lebanon, Beirut
8. SHARIF SEHNAOUI – Overdance
9. TWO OR THE DRAGON – Prelude for the triumphant man [Part 1]
10. JAD ATOUI – FDBCK
11. JAWAD NAWFAL & MAZEN EL-SAYED – Pastless
12. ANTHONY SAHYOUN – Two foxes trotting on a lane in Qartaba + Anthony Sahyoun on Radio Lebanon, Beirut
GHASSAN SALHAB Revolution Outro (sound capture)
Read more about the podcast and Beirut’s Musicians Relief Fund here.
Ziad Nawfal’s 1st monthly mix for Movement Radio in Athens – with a focus on alternative music from Lebanon:
1. Kinematik – Murur al-kiram
2. Sharif Sehnaoui – N [live at radio liban] 3. Jad Atoui – Signals
4. Munma – Three voices
5. Charbel Haber – We dream in the sun we tan when we can
6. Youmna Saba – Nafas [live at radio liban] 7. Osman Arabi – The xi masks of the faceless one [live at radio liban] 8. Fadi Tabbal – The new and improved guide to birdwatching vol.3
9. Sary Moussa – In praise of shadows
10. Ziad Moukarzel – Questions of worry [excerpt] 11. El Rass & Munma – Freestyle [live at radio liban]
[This mix was commissioned and produced by Onassis Cultural Center, and presented for the first time in the frame of MOVEMENT RADIO]
Ziad Nawfal’s guest mix for Radio Alhara, featuring selections from all 6 volumes of “The Ruptured Sessions” [2008-2019]:
1. El Rass & Munma – Freestyle 
2. Fareeq El Atrash – Njoom `Am Te’rab 
3. The Incompetents – Cannibal Blues 
4. Intensive Care – Another You 
5. White Trees – The Game of Love 
6. Charbel Haber – Building A Nest 
7. Sandmoon – Dead of Jericho 
8. Charlie Rayne – Madeleines 
9. Postcards – Flying Saucers 
10. Youmna Saba feat. Fadi Tabbal – Tehfi 
11. Safar – Overlove 
12. Alko B – Some Things 
13. Cosmic Analog Ensemble – Early Embankment 
14. The Wanton Bishops – Whoopy 
15. Who Killed Bruce Lee – Pool Party 
16. Mashrou’ Leila – Im Bimbillila7 
17. Kinematik – Lalochezia 
In the aftermath of the August 4th explosion in Beirut, which left several hundred people dead, thousands injured, and resulted in city-wide material damage, several labels and platforms have started releasing compilations in support of the crisis.
The Ruptured Sessions Vol.6 is the latest iteration of Ziad Nawfal‘s series of live recordings in the studios of Radio Lebanon. Spanning a period of 10 years, this collection includes live versions of songs by Lebanese musicians Alko B, The Incompetents, Kinematik, Postcards, Safar, The Wanton Bishops, Who Killed Bruce Lee, and Youmna Saba, as well as previously unreleased tracks by Charlie Rayne, Cosmic Analog Ensemble, and El Rass & Munma.
All Bandcamp sales from this release will be forwarded to Tunefork Studios‘ Beirut Musicians’ Fund, aimed at providing relief to musicians impacted by the deadly blast of August 4th. The fund will replace musicians’ damaged recording equipment, instruments and various music gear.
Buy The Ruptured Sessions Vol.6here.
Read Scene Noise‘s review here.
Donate to Beirut Musicians’ Fundhere.
MusicMap’s ‘Soundscape’ series is a brilliant way to keep up with local music scenes and global trends. Every few weeks, the people behind this amazing platform visit a different country and ask someone familiar with the scene to serve up a mix of the finest local sounds…
“This month we’re visiting Lebanon for our first Soundscape from the Middle East. Our guide this time is Beirut-based DJ, promoter and producer Ziad Nawfal, co-founder of ground-breaking independent label Ruptured and managing director of Irtijal, the country’s first experimental music festival. Ziad Nawfal has spent his career championing independent Lebanese music via his ‘Ruptures’ and ‘Decalages’ shows on Radio Lebanon, so we knew we were in for a treat with his Soundscape mix…”
1. El Rass & Munma – Kashghara (Adam, Darwin & The Penguin, 2015)
2. Kinematik – Lalochezia (Ala’, 2017)
3. Calamita – FTC (Calamita, 2018)
4. Fadi Tabbal – Crystal Palace (Museum of Disappearing Buildings, 2015)
5. Youmna Saba – Nafas (Njoum, 2014)
6. Jad Atoui – Zikr (Unreleased track, 2016)
7. The Bunny Tylers – Mothers Make Murderers (Glitches & Drones, 2016)
8. Kid Fourteen – It’s A Lovely Night (Dream Kids Never Sleep, 2016)
9. Scrambled Eggs – Building A Nest (Unreleased track, 2013)
10. KOZO 構造 – Don’t Leave, Kurokawa! (Beirut Wave Three, 2017)
11. Mme Chandelier – Minimal Potato (Post Coital Tristesse, 2016)
12. Radiokvm – Alpha Apparatus (Issrar, 2014)
13. Stephanie Merchak – Und Meine Antwort War Nein (Eine Frage, 2018)
14. Munma – Cadavre Exquis (Three Voices, 2016)
Ruptured had the privilege of hosting exceptional British musician Nadine Shah in the studios of Radio Liban 96.2 FM on Friday 11/05, for a radio session engineered by Fadi Tabbal from Tunefork Studios. Nadine Shah will perform a concert at Onomatopoeia The Music Hub on Saturday 12/05, featuring James Brown from UK band Pulled Part by Horses and Lebanese singer-songwriter Youmna Saba.
Sunday 1st January 2017, Radio Lebanon 96.2FM (10am-12pm)
The best way to start the year, undoubtedly, with a selection of tracks from Lebanese, Palestinian and Egyptian artists and bands:
1. Safar: No service (lb)
2. Alko B: Charlie / And out (lb)
3. Nadine Khouri: A song to the city (lb)
4. Ramly: The cold (lb)
5. Aya Metwalli: Triangle (eg)
6. Bachar Mar-Khalife: Ya nas (lb)
7. Maii & Zeid: Hassafer baeed (eg/lb)
8. Zeid & The Wings: Cowards (lb)
9. Wake Island: Milad majik (lb)
10. Gurumiran: Dreamer (lb)
11. Filter Happier: Dust (lb)
12. Fadi Tabbal: A glass tower (lb)
13. Youmna Saba: Khyout / Sadeeq (lb)
14. Youmna Saba: Al hitan (lb)
15. Postcards: Porto (lb)
16. Charlie Rayne: Madeleines (lb)
17. Serge Yared: 2HJ (lb)
18. The Incompetents: Closing time (lb)
19. Heroes & Villains: Out of credit (lb)
20. Etyen: Lo siento (lb)
21. Kid Fourteen: Find your lover (lb)
22. Mashrou’ Leila: Wa nueid (lb)
23. Sandmoon: Time has yet to come (lb)
24. White Trees: Natural symphony of sounds and colors (lb)
25. Safar: Wa namchi (lb)
26. Interbellum: Double back (lb)
27. Tamer Abu Ghazaleh: Hob (ps)
28. Maryam Saleh: Walaa soda (eg)
29. Mme Chandelier: Minimal potato (lb)
30. El Rass & Munma: Kashghara (lb)