Ziad Nawfal’s 5th monthly mix for Movement Radio in Athens – featuring music from Lebanon, Palestine, Armenia, Egypt, Sudan, Turkey, Greece, Indonesia, Canada and the USA:
1. Sufyvn – Whispers [SD]
2. Tarek Atoui – Untitled [LB]
3. Raed Yassin – The Two Banks of Time [LB]
4. Senyawa – Sujud (Prostration) [ID]
5. Giorgos Varoutas – Melisma 1 [GR]
6. Kamilya Jubran & Sarah Murcia – Siwa [PS/FR]
7. The Dwarfs of East Agouza [Alan Bishop, Maurice Louca, Sam Shalabi] – The Green Dogs of Dahshur [US/EG/CA]
8. Omarchestra [w. Osman Arabi, Umut Çağlar, Tony Elieh, Charbel Haber, Maurice Louca, Sharif Sehnaoui, Sam Shalabi, Fadi Tabbal] – King Hassan [LB/EG/TY/CA]
9. Khoum – E [AM]
10. Bana Haffar – Castles in Beirut [LB]
[This mix was commissioned and produced by Onassis Cultural Center, and presented for the first time in the frame of MOVEMENT RADIO]
Another “archival” mix, this one was commissioned for Recordat for their Re:levant series of podcasts; it showcases music recorded by Lebanese artists hailing from different genres and music denominations, between 2003 and 2012.
Some of the tracks are basic demos (Kitano Home Ensemble, Liliane Chlela), others are live versions (Court-Circuit, Kerbaj/Sehnaoui) or studio sessions, a couple were officially released, while overall nothing is properly mastered. They provide a window into a more frivolous, less rigid time, where experimentation and trial-and-error were often the norm.
1. Kitano Home Ensemble – Sunday Afternoon (Unreleased)
2. Liliane Chlela – I Scream (Unreleased)
3. Tarek Atoui / Uriel Barthelemi / Paed Conca – Session 01 (Unreleased)
4. Mazen Kerbaj + Sharif Sehnaoui – Ruptured Session April 2012 (Unreleased)
5. Court Circuit [Heathen + Osman Arabi] – Ruptured Session February 2010 (Unreleased)
6. Ae_Quo [Jawad Nawfal + Victor Bresse] – Maquette 01 (Unreleased)
7. AEX [Jawad Nawfal + Victor Bresse] – Electrolog (Unreleased)
8. Jad Atoui – Code Breaker (Unreleased)
9. OkyDoky & Radiokvm – Ein Souda (Unreleased)
10. Scrambled Eggs & A Trio – Beach Party at Mirna El Chalouhi [Diamond Setter’s Rework] (Unreleased)
11. Youmna Saba – Nasmet Hawa (Unreleased)
12. FEZANT – Message
13. Intensive Care – ficti(on)
14. Spoils & Servants – Saturn Fever (Unreleased)
Ziad Nawfal’s guest mix for Radio Alhara x The Ballroom Blitz’s takeover for Worldwide FM – all selections are by Lebanese musicians:
1. Jad Atoui – Zikr
2. Sary Moussa – Aristophanes*213
3. El Rass & Munma – Freestyle [Ruptured Session]
4. Hadi Zeidan – Mabrouk Mabrouk
5. Kid Fourteen – Ice in My Eyes
6. The Incompetents – 2 HJ
7. Kinematik – Lalochezia [Ruptured Session]
8. Zalfa – Law Ma
9. Liliane Chlela – 2022
10. Rise 1969 – 3Jane Tessier-Ashpool
11. Stephanie Merchak – Und meine Antwort war nein
12. TEDTEDTED – Wwhl
13. Tarek Atoui – Un-drum #3 [Ruptured Session]
14. Marc Codsi – 1979
15. Jerusalem In My Heart – Kol El ‘Aalam O’youn
16. Bana Haffar – Exo
New York-based musician Robert Lowe, aka LICHENS, was in Beirut for a few days on the occasion of the Visiting Tarab project, a musical research initiative organized by electronic musician Tarek Atoui and Oriental music specialist Kamal Kassar. Ruptures was fortunate enough to catch Robert and Tarek on an all-too-rare night off, and the two men hopped over to the studios of Radio Lebanon for an interview and an absolutely enthralling live performance from Lichens.
Ruptures w/ Lichens (part 1) + Ruptures w/ Lichens (part 2)
[Photos by Tanya Traboulsi]
On the occasion of the opening of international art exhibition Meeting Points 6, Lebanese electro-acoustic musician Tarek Atoui presented his new sound piece, ‘Infinite Times Zero’, at Beirut Art Center on April 27. He was the guest of Ruptures on the following Monday, to talk about this piece, as well as future plans and projects.
Ruptures T. Atoui (1) + Ruptures T. Atoui (2)
Swiss musician PAED CONCA was the guest of Ruptures for an interview + exclusive live performance. He presented an overview on his solo work, as well as his collaborations with Lebanese musicians Raed Yassin (as PRAED) and Tarek Atoui.
Paed Conca 1 + Paed Conca 2
Paed Conca, Cynthia Zaven, Axel Dorner & Sabina Meyer (live at Irtijal)
Paed Conca, Tarek Atoui & Uriel Barthelemy (live at Tunefork)
[Photo by Tanya Traboulsi]
Tashweesh, the duo of Basel Abbas (formerly with Palestinian hiphop & electronics trio Ramallah Underground) and Ruanne Abou Rahme, were interviewed by Ziad Nawfal and musician Tarek Atoui for Ruptures. Tashweesh were in Beirut to present their sound installation “Contingency”, as part of the 5th Home Works Cultural Forum.
Basel Abbas part 1 + Basel Abbas part 2
[Photos courtesy of Tashweesh]
Le musicien d’electro-acoustique libanais Tarek Atoui, en interview et performance live sur Ruptures 96.2FM.
Tarek Atoui part 1 + Tarek Atoui part 2
Tarek Atoui – Undrum #1
Tarek Atoui – Undrum #2
Tarek Atoui – Undrum #3
[Photos de Tanya Traboulsi]
The Ruptured Sessions Volume 2
A CD compilation gathering some of the most notorious protagonists of Beirut’s experimental music scene, captured live in the studios of Radio Lebanon. “The Ruptured Sessions” is a series of live recordings that take place in the studios of Radio Lebanon 96.2FM, during Ziad Nawfal’s weekly Ruptures program. These recordings focus on musicians from Lebanon’s alternative music scenes (alternative folk & rock, electronica, improvisation, etc.), as well as visiting foreign musicians.
Thomas Millroth is a Swedish writer and art critic. Nowadays he runs the Olof Bright label, alongside Swedish reeds player and improviser Mats Gustafsson. Thomas reviewed volume 2 of CD series The Ruptured Sessions for the very fabulous music blog Soundofmusic, on December 1st, 2010. Unfortunately for readers from this part of the world, Thomas’s review is in Swedish. It’s never too late for a trip to Scandinavia, is what we are thinking.
Le musicien d’électro-acoustique libanais Tarek Atoui, en interview et en performance live dans les studios de Radio Liban.
Tarek Atoui 1 + Tarek Atoui 2
[Photo de Tanya Traboulsi]