Ziad Nawfal’s monthly mix for Radio Ma3azef in Tunis – featuring music from Lebanon, Iran, Egypt and Tunisia:
1. TEDTEDTED – Cama [LB]
2. Daou – Lust [LB]
3. Bana Haffar – Exo [LB]
4. Anthony Sahyoun & Jawad Nawfal – February 17 [LB]
5. FRKTL – Where All Levels Cross [EG]
6. Sote – Segaah [IR]
7. Shinigami San – FGTN [TN]
8. Rabih Beaini – Ghadab [LB]
9. Bakisa – Notturno [LB]
10. MHz – Saturation in C Ex F [IR]
11. ABADIR – XLR@T [EG]
12. Zuli – Your Tracks Are Too Short [EG]
13. Ismael – I Was So [EG]
Ziad Nawfal’s monthly mix for Radio Ma3azef in Tunis – special Irtijal’20 edition featuring music from all festival participants:
1. Ghassan Sahhab – Taqasim Qanun [LB]
2. Paed Conca w/ City of Salt – Dreamy Ape [CH/IQ/CA]
3. Two or The Dragon – Live at Metro, June 2018 [LB]
4. Aya Metwalli – All the Gold on Earth [EG]
5. NAR – Ma Tensa [LB]
6. Calamita – Al’Il [LB/IT]
7. Rabih Beaini – Light Within a Light [LB]
8. Sary Moussa – Distance [LB]
9. Fadi Tabbal – The New and Improved Guide to Birdwatching Vol.3 (Patricia Wolf Beatless Remix) [LB/US]
10. TEDTEDTED – Day 21 (Diary of A Revolution) [LB]
11. Jad Atoui – Zikr [LB]
12. Ziad Moukarzel – Questions of Worry [LB]
13. Kinematik – Al-Qulub Al-Mughallafa Bet-Turab La Tankaser [LB]
The full, unedited version of Ziad Nawfal’s DJ set for the Morphine x Beirut fundraiser, organized by Morphine Records in Berlin, in collaboration with Irtijal, Ruptured, Frequent Defect, The Ballroom Blitz, Unsound and CTM:
1. Jerusalem In My Heart – A Granular Buzuk (feat. Sharif Sehnaoui) [LB]
2. Kid Fourteen – One Day I’m Gone [LB]
3. PanSTARRS – Khally Balak Hatmoot [EG]
4. MAKH – Abstract [LB]
5. Jad Atoui – Alpha 60 [LB]
6. Radiokvm – Aristophanes*213 [LB]
7. Monolake – Beirut [DE]
8. Morphosis – Wild in Captivity [LB]
9. Liliane Chlela – 2022 [LB]
10. DJ Haram – Overeager [US]
11. Aya Metwalli – Matkhafsh Menni [EG]
12. Rise 1969 – 3Jane Tessier-Ashpool [LB]
13. Lumi – To the Shore [LB]
Ziad Nawfal’s guest mix for The Ballroom Blitz‘s 30-hour takeover/fundraiser at Radio Alhara, with all profits going to Haven for Artists.
Music from and for Beirut:
1. Marc Codsi – Invocation I [LB]
2. Jad Atoui – Alpha 60 [LB]
3. Charles Cohen – Beirut [US]
4. Kid Fourteen – Can You Be More Concerned [LB]
5. The Bug – Destroy Me (Version) [UK]
6. Suuns + Jerusalem In My Heart – Gazelles in Flight [LB/CA]
7. Zalfa – Law Ma [LB]
8. Lumi – From A Dream [LB]
9. Rabih Beaini – Ghadab [LB]
10. Thoom – Large Fly [LB]
11. Aya Metwalli – Manyaka [EG]
12. Muqata’a – Taqamus Muqawim [PS]
13. El Rass & Munma – Freestyle (Ruptured Session) [LB]
14. Kinematik – Lalochezia (Ruptured Session) [LB]
In the aftermath of the August 4th explosion in Beirut, which left several hundred people dead, thousands injured, and resulted in city-wide material damage, several labels and platforms have started releasing compilations in support of the crisis.
Berlin-based label Syrphe Records, a platform for experimental and noise music from Asia and Africa, put out four compilations entitled Retrieving Beirut, with music by 94 acts from 40 countries. Featured genres include ambient, drone, techno, prog rock and industrial. Proceeds will be offered to one or more Lebanese charities.
Read Scene Noise‘s review of Retrieving Beirut here.
Buy Retrieving Beirut here.
Lebanese musician Rabih Beaini released The Sacred Rage on his label Morphine Records. The 12-track compilation features new tracks by the likes of German musicians Monolake and Rashad Becker, Lebanese musicians ‘A’ Trio, Radwan Ghazi Moumneh, and Beaini himself. All proceeds will go to organisations working on the ground in Beirut.
Read CDM’s review of The Sacred Rage here.
Buy The Sacred Rage here.
Solidarity With Beirut from the Berlin-based label Habibi Funk features seven cuts by artists from Beirut, including Roger Fakhr, revered band Ferkat Al Ard and Munir Khauli, whose track, “Heik Ha Nishtghil?,” was recorded in the mid-’80s. All proceeds from the compilation will go to the Lebanese Red Cross.
Read Scene Noise‘s review of Solidarity With Beirut here.
Buy Solidarity With Beirut here.
I asked some of my favorite musician and artist friends, from Beirut and beyond, to list their 10 favorite albums of 2012…
Alternately, they could also provide me with a list of the records they listened to the most in 2012, regardless of date of release.
Rabih Beaini (producer, DJ & musician, Morphosis)
1- Ben Vida: Esstends-Esstends-Esstends [PAN]
2- Koudede: Guitars From Agadez Vol.5 [Sublime Frequencies]
3- Madteo: Noi No [Sahko]
4- Dynamo Dreesen: Beats In The Mists Of Time [Acido]
5- Metasplice: Decant/Churn [Morphine. Promo]
6- Keith Fullerton Whitman: Generators [Editions Mego]
7- Funkineven: Night/Dusk [Wild Oats]
8- Bee Mask: When We Were Eating Unripe Pears [Spectrum Spools]
9- Sir Richard Bishop: Intermezzo [Ideological Organ]
10- Theo Parrish: Any Other Styles [Sound Signature]